- To provide simple, decent, affordable homes for qualified families
How Does Habitat Work:
- Habitat for Humanity PEH sells homes to chosen partner families at Fair Market Value with no downpayment required and no interest charged on the mortgage.
- Each chosen family is expected to complete 500 Volunteer Hours prior to moving into the house.
- Each chosen family is expected to learn about and accept the responsibilities of home ownership, with assistance from our Habitat Affiliate
What are Volunteer Hours?
- Chosen families volunteering in the building of their own home
- Families attending educational classes arranged for new homeowners related to budgeting, home maintenance and repairs
(Relatives & friends can contribute up to 100 of the 500 required hours of volunteer work).
Habitat for Humanity Prince Edward-Hastings welcomes your interest in becoming a Partner Family. The application process is quite detailed. To help you decide whether Habitat homeownership is right for you, we have outlined some questions that you can ask yourself to determine whether you meet the basic eligibility criteria. If you feel that you do meet the basic criteria, you may submit a Homeownership Information Session Registration form.
If you have any questions or need assistance with this questionnaire, you may contact Glenn May-Anderson at 613-962-7526 ext. 205, or email@example.com
Application Process Questionnaire
- Can all applicants in your household provide documented proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status?
- Does your family have at least one child 16 years of age or younger? (Exceptions are reviewed on a case by case basis)
- Can you provide proof of continuous residence in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties for the last (1) year, or continuous employment in Hastings and Prince Edward Counties for the last (1) one year?
- If any applicant in your household has ever declared bankruptcy, has it been discharged for more than 3 years?
- Are you willing to relocate to the area where the new home build is located?
If you answered NO to ANY questions in Section A, you are not eligible to become a Habitat Partner Family at this time. If you answered YES to all 5 questions, please proceed to Section B.
Ability to Pay a Habitat Mortgage
- Can you provide documented proof of a history of reliable income for the last 3 years?
- Is your current total gross family income greater than $22,400 (family of 2) and less than $52,000 (family of 6) per year? Habitat will consider income sources from all of the members in your immediate family who would be living in the Habitat home. Note: Your total gross income will be considered, which includes all money received from employment, child tax benefits/supplements, support payments, permanent disability pensions, or any other on-going income source. It does not count Employment Insurance (E.I), Ontario Works (OW) or designated Child Disability Benefits (CDB).
- Can all applicants in your household provide documented proof of good credit history? A credit report will be obtained during the application process.
- Can you provide documented proof that your total monthly payments for loans and other debt obligations are less than 10% of your gross monthly income (car loans, student loans, etc.)?
If you answered NO to ANY question in Sections B, you may not be eligible to apply to become a Habitat partner family at this time. Please contact Glenn May-Anderson at 613-962-7526 ext. 205 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your situation. If you answered YES to all 4 questions, please proceed to Section C.
Need for Affordable Housing
- Can you provide documented proof of the total monthly housing costs you spend on rent, home insurance etc., that are more than 30% of your gross monthly income?
- Is your family inadequately housed (For example: there is no kitchen, or no living room, or no bedrooms)?
- Does your family live in unsafe or unhealthy conditions?
- Do you experience problems with your heat, electricity, water or sanitation facilities in your home?
- Do you live in overcrowded conditions (For example: more than 2 children in a bedroom, or parents sharing with a child, or parents without a bedroom)?
- Are there barriers for physically challenged individuals in the family? If your current living situation involves one or more of the conditions noted in Section C, please proceed to Section D.
Willingness to Partner with Habitat
- If selected for a Habitat home, is your family willing to do 500 volunteer ‘Sweat Equity’ hours of Habitat work (For example, helping to build your house)?
- If selected for a Habitat home, is your family willing to participate in Habitat promotional events, public media and appear in promotional materials?
- If selected for a Habitat home, are all applicants willing to provide a Criminal Reference Check?
If you answered NO to ANY question in Sections D, you may not be eligible to apply to become a Habitat partner family at this time.
Please contact Glenn May-Anderson at 613-962-7526 ext. 205 to discuss your situation. If you feel that you do meet the basic criteria, you may submit a Homeownership Information Session Registration form to email@example.com.
Register for a Homeownership Information Session